Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 6 - Sunday - 22 June

Soccer match on Sunday - Passe Catabois vs. a nearby village


Team at MayetteMayette Congregation


Good Sunday morning, all. I have not completed the entries for yesterday, but thought I would go ahead and start today's entries. We are going to worship at Mayette today, and participate in a Haitian meal afterwards. Hopefully I will have time to catch up this afternoon. It is the Sabbath, but I find that writing this is very inspirational to me (sort of like an "examen"), and Jesus showed us it was ok to be about our Father's work on the Sabbath.

Debbie Ames, I hope you did not worry too much about the pavilions, because it didn't matter anyway! I appreciate your work!
.....
More later.

5:52 PM Ha! Two hours of update - gone!!! It is getting too dark now.
.....
Today we worshipped at Mayette, the church that DPC has supported for quite some time. This is the church where we added steps and the pad yesterday. The church is located in a cornfield, which is visible through the windows on three sides of the church. This is a real praise, since the corn is not usually so tall or so green in June. Sunday School was held in the sanctuary, then after a two-minute pause, the church service started at ten.

Bruce introduced us, and we sang "Lord, We Lift Your Name on High." There was a quartet of girls who sang two songs. While two of the hymns were in Creole and had unfamiliar tunes, we got to join in on "Praise the Lord (Let the People Rejoice)" in French at the end of the service. This hymnal starts over again at Hymn 1 about 18 times, so finding the right number 76 was not always easy. Bruce was kind enough to translate the sermon for us. This ministry could use a lot of prayer. Most of the men have gone off to the Dominican Republic to try to find work. There are a lot of trials for this minister and his congregation. Oh, yes, the service lasted one and one half hours. No more complaining!

After the service we shook everyone's hands and took a couple of pictures. Then we were off to Pastor Chrisbon's house for lunch. Madam Chrisbon is a saint -- well, I guess we all are, but there should be an extra star in her crown for the meals she puts together for mission teams and for Bruce for many years starting back in his single days. We had: Fried smushed plantains (like bananas), onion rings (the best I have ever tasted - no grease), a spicy bean and pepper salad, arrowhead root cassarole ("Yum, yum," Fred says), scalloped potatoes (with cheese and onions), a simmered beef dish, tender and lightly marinated in a slightly spicy sauce, and dark rice and beans (which we had already sampled at DPC). This last had a beef-based sauce to pour over it. To drink we had Coca Cola, Pepsi, or Teem from glass bottles. I always think Coke tastes best out of a glass bottle. My bottle was from Trinidad.

After our bodies were nourished, we heard Pastor Chrisbon's story. He has been preaching here for 27 years. He was very pleased because this past week at the evangelism conference, there were several people who came to Christ. Today a witch doctor who practiced in Port de Paix accepted Christ as her savior. Tomorrow she will be turning in her equipment, including two meteorites and a double-edged dagger, "powerful" tools.

Speaking of witch doctors, they are all around. A barber-pole shows you where you can get a haircut. In a similar fashion, witch doctors can be recognized by the multi-colored flags they fly on 20-30 foot poles at the corners of their yard or compound. As we passed through one market, we could see six witchdoctors' houses. There are others throughout the countryside.

When we got back to our compound, the kids went to a soccer game, and I worked on the blog, without success. Supper was popcorn and lemonade. Deb got a well-deserved break. We talked more of Pastor Chrisbon and of the early days of this mission. God has truly led these people forward.

Note: Those of you who question the term "smushed" have just never seen a plantain smusher. Ask Sandy or Becky!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Haiti Friends: We are at church right now and we are setting up my laptop in the fellowship room for those without computers at home to read the blog here today. Love to all. Blessings as you worship and rest today. Deborah

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,

We are having service in the church instead of the park, because Deborah was concerned about all smoke that we have been getting from the fires in the Great Dismal Swamp. We thought we were going to get rained out, but the weather is sunny and warm
This is my second try at blogging because I don't think my first message went through. I hope all of you are well and enjoying your sabbath day. I assume that you will not be working but going to church and visiting with the Haitians.
My husband and I have been following your reports each day and Praise God for all your efforts. You are definitely our ambassadors and helpers in Haiti.We hope you are handling the heat and work okay. I am sure that you are all sore from the physical labor, but God will gladly reward you for your efforts.
People are slowly coming into the church and we hope that most everybody got the word about the location change or we will have people showing up at the park.
Bless you all and take care.
Delores Fleming

Anonymous said...

Hi All -
This morning in church there were many united in prayer for you and your work in Haiti. Deborah spoke about "letting your light shine" and I could not help but think of you and what you are doing. I feel that you are letting your light shine and our love and prayers are shining through you. What a great feeling!
We missed Bill, Becky and Maria this morning in the choir as we sang one of my personal favorites, "Ride the Chariot". It was awesome and led to spontaneous applause and an "Amen" from many assembled. Our soloists - Bill Martin, Sandi and Jeff really did a great job for us. I can picture Bill, Becky and Maria leading the singing in Haiti. I hope that by now Mason has taught everyone to sing "Do Lord"! He is an expert in that area!
The picnic after the service was wonderful as usual. If you left hungry, it was your own fault. Bill, please let us know what your Haitian meal was like. I am not sure exactly what kind of food you would have.
Must close for now. Our hearts are with you. Love ~ Jane

Anonymous said...

Daniel,

I hope you are doing well and savoring this experience. It was good to hear that you are writing in the journal although I suspect it is merely a way to keep your fingers busy since they can't text message!

We miss you terribly. We had Shane all weekend and that has been a blessing as far as keeping us busy and not dwelling on your absence. Daddy leaves tomorrow for NY. I love you and look forward to seeing you Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Dear Friends,

Your day yesterday sounded very interesting. I bet you are doing and seeing things that you never dreamed of five years ago.

Sorry that Bill's update today ended up in cyberspace somewhere. Are there invisible spider webs from our computers and cell phones to the sky? LOL. I just know how to operate the equipment, but don't get how it works!


We were in Hampton for a birthday picnic late this afteroon and it was raining "cats and dogs" by the time we left. Not a drop of rain by the time we got home. I do hear a rumble in the distance, so maybe we will see some rain yet. What is the temperature there?

Wishing you all well as you begin your last work days in Haiti. I know you have been a blessing to Bruce and Deb.

Take care and stay strong!

Iris Lewis said...

Dear Friends,

I so missed you all at church today. The Reynolds and I made up the entire first three rows and it was much too quiet.

I'm picturing in my mind your view from the porch where you gather in the evenings, and am reminded of the brightness of stars when they provide the only light. It must be a wonderful time of reflection for all of you.

Yesterday my friend Rose and I went to downtown Suffolk. Along the way the fire smoke was so thick we could barely see the car in front of us let alone find the street signs. After many wrong turns we ended up in Driver and soon discovered that we were in the same neighborhood destroyed by the recent tornadoes. The air here was strangely clean and we witnessed Habitat for Humanity hard at work. I guess sometimes we have to veer off the beaten path in order to see God's work more clearly. You all have my highest respect.

Now about your sleep...polka bands also use 3 or 4 chords so you might try humming along a few bars of "roll out the barrel" to the beat of the patron saint festival music. That should change things up a bit for you. Always glad to be of help, my friends!

Oh, and Sandi, I so look forward to having you over for Spinach Souffle when you return.

The evening sky is clear for the moment and with any luck I'll be out watching the stars with all of you. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Sleep well. Hugs, Iris

Anonymous said...

It's Monday morning and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Bill, sorry you lost your updates. I had the same experience with a note I composed to you all yesterday--gone. Delores had the same experience before, too.

Anyway, we miss all of you. Off to church in a bit.

Let me know if I can make any contacts for you all.

Stay the course. Keep the faith. Love you, Deborah

Bill McC said...

Deborah, Becky asked if you will please contact Daryl today. Sandi asked if Bob and Rosemary Murphy have looked in on her Mom. We love you all. I am working without a mouse this morning and several other technical glitches (sigh). We should be back in the early afternoon, so I may be able to get more up then. Sorry - Bill

Anonymous said...

Hello all, I just wrote a fairly long comment and lost it. Will try to reconstruct...I have enjoyed reading your activities as reported in the daily schedules. We had lots of smoke from the fires in the Dismal Swamps on Sat. pm. Are you all in one building or house? Do you sleep in beds or sleeping bags? Just wondered. Hope whatever the case that you are able to get rest needed so that you'll be alert and ready for the next day. God really is shining his light on you. I think of you often and wish you much success and a safe journey home. For now, bless all of you. Love, Amelia Britt

Anonymous said...

Hello Everybody!
Somehow I only just found out about this blog at church yesterday. I am amazed at everything you have accomplished in the last week. I think about you everyday and say a prayer for your safety and success. I know the Lord is looking after you in all you are doing. Do you remember the marshmallow guns from Relay for Life? I brought three of mine to the "picnic". I didn't let the kids play with them inside so don't worry about having to clean up or paint anything as soon as you get home. Bon chance!
Mason. I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures when you return.
Best to All of You!
Kristi Spivey

Anonymous said...

Bill, Let Becky know that I've spoken with Daryl twice since her departure and will call this afternoon to check in on him again. I will contact Bob and Rosemary and report back.

Don H. is coming home from the hospital today--Praise God.

More updates later. deb