Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day 3 - Thursday



Back of house at LaBousseFront of house at LaBousse


Our bags arrived last night! We were happy to get so many missing things, including Iris' letters for us. Oh, Bruce's supplies came thru all ok. It does not appear that anything was stolen. We had real coffee this morning, thanks to Deb. Haitian coffee is really good. Starbucks can stay out of here -- they don't stand a chance. Today we go to paint the outside of the pastor's house.

It has occurred to us that this must be a real vacation for Deborah, with so many of the troublemakers so far away 8^). Eventually I will mature to the point where I stop making jokes like that, but not yet. We miss you all.

Our condolences go to John and Betty Mayes on the loss of Steve. We are far from cards and postage here - this will have to do until our return.

I will try to post some pictures as soon as possible. The land looks strange, with huge Christmas cactuses, opuntia, cholla, and another cactus I should recognize, but don't. There are mimosas (orange and red!), bannana trees, and mangoes (142 kinds), aloes and agaves, some of which are in bloom with creamy clusters of bell-like flowers. [These turned out to be Spanish bayonets.] Birds? Several unknown kinds - I did see a flicker species yesterday. There is a bird about the size and shape of a chicken, although it flies well, with a parrot-like squawk. I have no clue of what it is. I think it is black, but it was in silhouette, so I am not sure if there are other colors (confirmed it is all black).[Thanks, Dan Aring - it appears to be the Cuban crow.]

More this evening. Bless you all.
.....
We are back early today. We pretty much ran out of work. The Haitians need to catch up with us on the pastor's house. We finished the top sections of the walls (nine feet) in each room, painted the door frames marine blue, installed door frames in the two visitor's rooms (we painted those with enamel yesterday)and painted most of the outside of the house a beautiful sky blue. The boys played soccer over lunch with some little kids. Tyler, with help from Mason, finished up his grinding and started some Haitians painting the metal doors at the church. Bruce got far enough ahead on his list to put up some aluminum quarter sections to complete the church roofing. He said that had been on his list for years. He is really pleased with the drills we bought him. Thanks, John Fleming!

We did not do many different things, just a lot of the same. We have a lot of discusions about the buildings and the plants (some I have never seen pictures of, even). It is hard to turn down some of the requests we receive, but charity is not built on guilt, it is built on love.

Kester is going to try to download some pictures from his camera tonight so we can post them. We will see how it goes.
.....
Here are some words from Sandi M:

Iris, I am so proud of you for going to the Church in the park. I want a full report. You really wouldn't like the 2 inch cock roaches we have seen in the bathroom. But it is better than the latrine out back of the pastor's house yesterday. We are keeping the bathroom counter clean just for you. Erica, thanks for checking the blog. This is certainly a wonderful experience and I have met many children here. I hope you are having a positive attitude each and every day. I will call you when I get back. Iris, you can buy a mosquito net at the surplus store on Grandby street in Norfolk. Just use some deet bug spray. It makes for a nice smell. Kiernan, we have seen many children and adults riding their donkeys to the river or to the spring to get water and they are carrying things on their heads. They are carrying water, sticks, coal, laundry to take to the river to wash and sugar cane. And Kiernan, they go down to the river to take a bath. By the way, I want to be Kissaroo number 1 just for a little while. Christien, Wendy and Kiernan - pap pap says he loves you all. Mason is too busy talking in Creole to stop and say hello. The letters of encouragement and prayer have been wonderful to read each day. Love to all, Sandi

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello All -
It is so wonderful to read about what you are doing. I think Bill needs to take up writing along with everything else he is doing! I am so proud of all of you! I would love to be there, but the first large insect I saw would send me running. All of you are an inspiration to us here and great representatives of our church and our faith.
Love and Blessings to all - Jane Martin

Anonymous said...

I noticed you posted your last blog at 8:00 AM. Shouldn't you all have been working at least two hours by that time? Don't tell me Bruce is getting soft and letting you sleep in! LOL

I look forward to reading about your activities every day. I feel like I am right there.....I can just visualize it all.

Bologna sandwiches for the Kid's Feeding Program today. And I had a bowl of rice and beans for lunch. I wonder what thoughts Mrs. Lewis will have on that!

Keep Well and God Bless

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me there would be mangoes!!!This mornings prayers jumped around a bit. After asking God to keep you in his care I thought of so many things we take for granted. I went from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to the air conditioned office of a dental surgeon. I prayed for God to give you shade and breezes -And Yes, we evn take the ease of pain for granted - the offending tooth is gone - I prayed for dental care for the Haitians - do they even have a dentist. And where would they get a prescription filled - if they had one? And food - and water - and Deb for cooking for all of you. Where does she get her food Does she have help cooking? I now pray a lot for Deb. I am so proud to know each and every one of you. How blessed is our world to have such a caring, talented team - and how blessed are we back home to be able to enjoy all the things we take for granted.
Thank you for helping to make life easier for those less fortunate than ourselves.

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me there would be mangoes!!!This mornings prayers jumped around a bit. After asking God to keep you in his care I thought of so many things we take for granted. I went from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to the air conditioned office of a dental surgeon. I prayed for God to give you shade and breezes -And Yes, we evn take the ease of pain for granted - the offending tooth is gone - I prayed for dental care for the Haitians - do they even have a dentist. And where would they get a prescription filled - if they had one? And food - and water - and Deb for cooking for all of you. Where does she get her food Does she have help cooking? I now pray a lot for Deb. I am so proud to know each and every one of you. How blessed is our world to have such a caring, talented team - and how blessed are we back home to be able to enjoy all the things we take for granted.
Thank you for helping to make life easier for those less fortunate than ourselves.

Iris Lewis said...

My dear friends, as I strolled down Duke of Gloucester Street over my lunch hour, a cool breeze in my hair, (isn't that a song?) my thoughts turned to all of you. Was everyone well now...were you working in uncomfortable heat and I thought about the smells that you might be experiencing (since the horses just passed by me!). Hopefully not the same as were on this street back in the 18th century. Returning to the office I read with interest the "cheerleader's" message to you and although I feel such a part of you despite the difference in miles between us, I think I may now understand why I was not called to Haiti. Perhaps I am that nineth "troublemaker" left behind to continue your work in your absence. And that's no bologna Mrs. Minch! Sandi - I'm working on your facial expressions for Sunday and will keep close watch especially on the Vollmer's hands for you! Yes, since you have gone all the way to Haiti, I think that I can somehow survive Service in the Park. By the way, where does one purchase a mosquito net? Prayers of comfort to all. Big hugs, Iris. (What song are we on?)

Iris Lewis said...

p.s. Please excuse Ms. Verni as she tends to say the same thing over and over again.

Dan Aring said...

Dan Aring said...

Hey Haiti Maties,

I hope this message finds everyone as healthy as can be and in good spirits. Sounds like you all are rapidly stepping up the work pace down there...no slacking Fred...actually all the best to each of you.

Bill...not that I'm any kind of bird aficionado, but perhaps you came across the Cuban Crow that frequents Cuba as well as the Caicos Islands just north of you.
I'm forwarding you this link...

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/cubancrow.html

May your words and actions continue to enlighten and encourage those less fortunate.

Peace to you all.

xtien said...

Great stuff. I love the personal message from Sandi at the end. So happy to hear that it's going so swimmingly. And I'm shocked...SHOCKED...that Mason is getting along so well with the locals. That kid's really gonna be somethin' if we can ever figure out how to get him to come out of his shell.

Sandi: I will pass on your donkey facts and Kisseroo request to Kiernan.

Love to all.
xtien

(The Other Murawski)

Anonymous said...

A P.S. of my own:

I understand it is proper to say to your elders - with a great deal of respect in your voice -
"I believe you mentioned that".

Another P.S.

Cuban Crow??? I thought that was something distilled deep in the jungle.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you all have the same feelings now that I had when our family lived in the Philippines years ago.

I think most of us at DPC consider ourselves "middle class". But, in many countries we are looked upon as "rich Americans". And, indeed, we do have SO MUCH MORE than many, if not most, of the people in the world. We just take for granted that water will flow from our faucets when we turn them on, lights will brighten our room when we flip the switch, the refrigerator will be full of food when we open the door, and the car is ready to go when we want, and on good roads.

For the 2 1/2 years we lived in the PI, I always felt uncomfortable, and probably a little bit guilty, with the treasures we were blessed with.

And yet, I learned how the simple things in life were so meaningful. The Filipino children always laughed and played and the adults were always friendly with a smile and warm greeting.

It's funny how you all being in Haiti has brought back emotions I felt years ago. OK, I promise this is my last serious comment!

I wonder how you all are doing today. I pray you are healthy and glad you made the trip! I'm looking forward to your next blog.